We encourage you to use the SOAP personal daily devotional process. S.O.A.P. is an acronym: Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer.
Take your time reading each chapter and allow God to speak to you. Look for a verse that particularly spoke to you and write it in your journal.
What do you think God is saying to you in this scripture? Ask the Holy Spirit to teach you and reveal Jesus to you. What lessons do you see? What does this verse say about life, faith, God, people, yourself, character, truth, sin, possessions, our culture, etc.? Paraphrase and write this scripture down in your own words in your journal.
Personalize what you have read, by asking yourself some of the following questions:
- How does this apply to my life right now?
- How does this apply to my relationship with God, myself and other people?
- How does this apply to me at work, home, school, church?
- Is there an instruction, encouragement or promise God wants me to take to heart?
- Is there a behavior or character correction that God is talking to me about? What specifically should I do about that?
Write how this scripture can apply to you today.
This can be as simple as asking God to help you use this scripture, or it may be a greater insight on what He may be revealing to you. Remember, prayer is a two-way conversation, so be sure to listen to what God has to say and journal about it.
Journaling is an excellent way to record and process what God has spoken to us. Without writing it down, you may forget those blessings and some very important lessons! While journaling is a very personal time with the Lord, you may want to share some of your daily journaling with some friends, spiritual leaders, or mentors. Through discussion, you may be able to look deeper into what God is speaking to you, gain new insight and even encourage others.